Our Volcano hike and Geothermal tour is a great introduction to the impact volcanic activity has had on the landscape of iceland. This tour explores the Reykjanes Peninsula which is located a short drive from the capital Reykjavík. The peninsula is situated on the fissure line of the mid-Atlantic ridge which is the cause of all the eruptions, earthquakes and other seismic activity in the region. This tour offers a chance to experience geothermal wonders, natural phenomena, and places of stunning beauty.
The highlight of the tour is hiking in the area of the recent eruptions in 2021 and 2022 near Fagradalsfjall Volcano.This is a rare opportunity indeed as there have been few accessible and safe to visit volcanoes in Iceland in living memory.
Along with this magnificent volcano site, our experienced and knowledgeable guides will take you to some of the other highlights that Reykjanes Peninsula has to offer. These include the boiling waters and sulphuric steamy air at the Seltún and Gunnuhver hot-springs, a walk between the American and Euroasian continental plates at the Bridge between Continents, a wonderful photo opportunity at Reykjanesviti lighthouse and the black sand beaches of Kleifarvatn Lake.
The compact nature of the peninsula means that you fit a lot into this 10-hour day tour.
Things to note:
- The duration of the tour is around 10 hours.
- The hike to the 2021 and 2022 eruption site takes around 2 hours and is of moderate difficulty.
- Tour duration is estimated. Difficult conditions on the volcano trail can lead to tour overruns
- We reserve the right to alter the hiking route taken depending on the conditions on the day.
- Volcanoes are a natural phenomenon and the level of volcanic activity at the site varies from day to day. Even if the volcano is not erupting during your visit, visiting the area is still fascinating.
- Hike to the eruption sites near Fagradalsfjall Volcano
- Kleifarvatn late (Not a guaranteed stop)
- Seltun Geothermal area (Not a guaranteed stop)
- Gunnuhver hot-springs
- Reykjanesviti Lighthouse and coastal features
- The Bridge Between Continents
- FREE CANCELLATION
- BEST PRICE GUARANTEE
- NO BOOKING FEES
- FAST & SECURE PAYMENT
What do I need to bring?
- Warm first layer of clothing and a waterproof second layer.
- Good sturdy walking shoes or boots, preferably with good ankle support
- Jeans are a bad idea as if it rains they will stay wet for hours and you risk hypothermia.
- Water and snacks
- Hiking poles are recommended, they can also be rented from BusTravel Iceland.
- Minimum age for this tour is 12.
- Experienced guide for the tour and hike.
- Wi-fi on board.
- Hike near the Fagradalsfjall & Meradalir Volcanoes, sites of the 2021 and 2022 eruptions.
- Parking and admission fees.
- Meals & drinks.
Good to know
- Cancellation fee of 100% if cancelled 1 day or less before departure