These afternoon departure from Reykjavík Iceland takes you directly to the Fagradalsfjall volcano area in Geldingalur valley to witness the miracle of land forming before our very eyes. This is the site of the most recent active volcano in Iceland!
Things to note:
- This tour requires hiking to and back from the Fagradalsfjall volcano.
- The hike difficulty level is medium and takes about 1.5h each way.
- Wear hiking shoes, a waterproof jacket and warm clothes
- Bring water and snacks/dinner
- Bring a regular face mask to protect from ashes and dust in the air
- Newly formed lava fields
- Fagradalsfjall Volcano
- Hike in Geldingadalur Valley
- Reykjanes Peninsula
- FREE CANCELLATION
- BEST PRICE GUARANTEE
- NO BOOKING FEES
- FAST & SECURE PAYMENT
The erupting volcano in Icelands’ Fagradalsfjall was the first one in the area in 7000 years and went on for about 6 months in 2021 and few weeks in summer 2022. This true geothermal wonderland starts with a scenic drive through fairy-like lava fields covered in a thick layer of green moss past the majestic Lake Kleifarvatn, before we hike into Geldingadalur Valley to see the eruption site. You will be able to enjoy your packed dinner from the eruption site. On the way back from this unique experience seeing moss and land in the making we will drive through the Reykjanes Peninsula where previous volcanos have formed now rock hard formations and soft lava moss.
The Peninsula of Reykjanes is a true volcanic wonder hosting unique natural phenomenon; open rift zones, mossy covered lava-fields, geothermal fields, mountain lakes, fishing villages, and breathtaking coastal features. Reykjanes lies on one of the world’s major plate boundaries, the Mid Atlantic Ridge in between the tectonic plates of Eurasia and North America, drifting apart from one another resulting in open fissures and volcanic activity.
What do I need to bring?
- Wool or fleece (not cotton) thermal first layer of clothing
- Waterproof and breathable hiking pants and jacket second layer
- Wool/fleece headwear and gloves
- Comfortable hiking shoes
- Water & snacks/dinner
- Face mask is recommended to protect from ashes at the volcano
- Hiking poles are recommended but not mandatory. This can also be rented from BusTravel Iceland.
- The difficulty of the hike is medium.
- The hike is around 8 km and 300 m elevation.
- The duration of the tour is approx. 7 hours.
- There is no food included on this tour so we recommend you bring a packed dinner/snacks and water.
- This tour involves hiking to and back from the Fagradalsfjall volcano.
- Minimum age for this tour is 12.
- Experienced guide
- Wi-fi on board
- Hike to Fagradalsfjall Volcano
- Meals & drinks
Good to know
- Cancellation fee of 100% if cancelled 1 day or less before departure