AURORA REYKJAVIK & NORTHERN LIGHTS CRUISE
Choose your moment in the day to visit Aurora Reykjavík, Iceland’s first and only Northern Lights Center. Take a walk through history and learn about mythology around the Arctic circle. Explore the science via interactive displays and try your camera settings in the unique Northern Lights photo simulator. Aurora Reykjavík’s trump card is its fantastic HD time-lapse movie of the Aurora Borealis. Sit back in bean bags and enjoy this 30-minutes film with dazzling aurora displays captured all over Iceland. Immerse yourself completely into the Northern Lights with the world’s first 360° film of the Aurora Borealis, featured in VR goggles.
Having learned all about the aurora borealis and taken in the lights at Aurora Reykjavík’s exhibition, it’s time to try the real thing with a Northern Lights Tour by Boat. Come evening, you’ll embark from the Old Harbour of Reykjavík and see the auroras on the North-Atlantic with the city lights in the background – something you won’t forget! Our expert guide will help you to search for the lights while telling you all about the science, legends and myths that surround this amazing natural phenomenon. You are welcome to spend time inside our cafeteria enjoying a warm drink and you won’t miss a thing, thanks to our speaker system. When the guide sees the lights, they will announce it on the speaker system so everyone knows to head outside and look up!
The friendly crew take photos on every tour that are available to download in the following days at no extra charge. They are also happy to assist with camera settings to give you the best chance of capturing the auroras.
The Special Tours Iceland app, available in 5 languages (English, German, French, Spanish and simplified Chinese) can be downloaded on Android and iOS. It is available for all clients to download during their tour, with both text and audio information.
Northern Lights by Boat tour – operated by Special Tours
Pick-up and drop-off are available upon request and for an additional fee. Please contact our offices to book (see below).
When the northern lights forecast looks good but it is too windy to sail, we will take our customers out for a northern lights tour on a bus – plus a chance to join our boat tour the next available day!
If the tour is cancelled and you have not previously joined a tour, you can exchange your ticket for one of the following options:
- A Whale Watching tour
- Join our Northern Lights Backup Plan – Auroras at Whales of Iceland (plus the chance to keep reschedule your boat tour) – as our reception for more info!
- A full refund
These tours are subject to correct weather conditions. You can always check our website (www.specialtours.is), call us (+354-560-8800), or check with your hotel lobby around 18:00 to see if the tour will operate.
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 23 hours or less before event
Aurora Reykjavík Center
- Coffee & tea
- VR headset
Special Tours Northern Lights by Boat tour
- 2-3 hour Northern Lights by Boat tour
- Experienced guide on every departure
- Warm overalls (also available in children’s sizes!)
- Heated indoor seating areas
- Free ticket to try again if nothing is seen on your tour!
- WC’s, snack bar & WiFi on board
- Pictures taken on every tour, available to download free of charge
- Friendly crew can assist with photography and camera settings if needed
Aurora Reykjavík Center
- Earphones for our QR audioguide (can be purchased on site)
Special Tours Northern lights by boat tour
- Food and drink (can be purchased on board)
- Hotel transfers (can be added for an additional cost)
What do I need to bring?
- Your camera, you will learn how to take photos of the northern lights during your visit
- Your phone and earphones, for our QR-based audioguide
Northern Lights by Boat tour
We recommend wearing warm clothes & sturdy shoes. Don’t forget your camera!