This evening departure from Reykjavík Iceland takes you directly to the erupting volcano area in Geldingalur valley to witness the miracle of land forming before our very eyes.
Things to note:
- This tour requires hiking to and back from the Fagradalsfjall volcano. The hike difficulty level is medium and takes about 1.5h each way.
- Wear hiking shoes, a waterproof jacket and warm clothes
- Bring water and snacks/dinner
- Bring a regular face mask to protect from ashes and dust in the air
- Mossy covered lava fields
- Fagradalsfjall Volcano
- Hike in Geldingadalur Valley
- Reykjanes Peninsula
- Seltún Hot Springs
- FREE CANCELLATION
- BEST PRICE GUARANTEE
- NO BOOKING FEES
- FAST & SECURE PAYMENT
The erupting volcano in Icelands’ Fagradalsfjall is ongoing for the first time in 7000 years and now is the time to come see nature wonder happening before our eyes. This true geothermal wonderland starts with a scenic drive through fairy-like lava fields covered in a thick layer of green moss past the majestic Lake Kleifarvatn, stopping by the colorful Seltún Hot Springs Geothermal area at Krýsuvík before we hike into Geldingadalur Valley to see the live volcanic activity all around. You will be able to enjoy your packed dinner while watching lava flowing from the volcano. On the way back from this unique experience seeing moss and land in the making we will drive through the Reykjanes Peninsula where previous volcanos have formed now rock hard formations and soft lava moss.
An active volcano and naturally warm healing waters is something that you don’t see every day and in this tour volcanic- and geothermal activity run the scene to make this a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The beautiful backcountry of Reykjanes Peninsula offers variated scenery, natural phenomena, and places of stunning beauty and is only a short distance from Reykjavík! Being so close to the nature-surrounded capital Reykjavík, a tour to the active volcano in Geldingadalir and gives you the great opportunity to visit a number of interesting places at a relaxed pace without much time spent on the road.
The Peninsula of Reykjanes is a true volcanic wonder hosting unique natural phenomenon; open rift zones, mossy covered lava-fields, geothermal fields, mountain lakes, fishing villages, and breathtaking coastal features. Reykjanes lies on one of the world’s major plate boundaries, the Mid Atlantic Ridge in between the tectonic plates of Eurasia and North America, drifting apart from one another resulting in open fissures and volcanic activity.
What do I need to bring
- Warm first layer of clothing and a waterproof second layer.
- Comfortable hiking shoes.
- Water & snacks/dinner
- Face mask is recommended to protect from ashes at the volcano.
- Hiking poles are recommended but not mandatory. This can also be rented from BusTravel Iceland.
- Experienced guide
- Wi-fi on board
- Hike to Fagradalsfjall Volcano
Good to know
- The difficulty of the hike is medium
- The duration of the tour is 5 hours.
- There is no food included on this tour so we recommend you bring a packed dinner/snacks and water.
- This tour involves hiking to and back from the Fagradalsfjall volcano.
- Cancellation fee of 100% if cancelled 1 day or less before departure